Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Joys of Furniture Shopping

First, a Happy Thanksgiving to you all. And for those less traditional, a Happy Deer Season. I hope you are all enjoying the holidays by relaxing, however it is that you do that. Some people go on vacation, some people go to visit family, and, for those who find themselves with a long list of home improvements just waiting to be attended to, furniture shopping.
I'm not sure about you, but when I think "furniture shopping" the first thing that comes to mind just so happens to be sales people. For example: you walk in, maybe sit down in a few chairs. You like a couple, but they aren't really what you're looking for. A salesman finds you, and wishes oh-so-fervently to help you in your quest.
Enter salesman: "Hello, ma'am. Might I ask what you're looking for today?"
Customer: "Well, sure. I would like a chair, but NOT a recliner. Maybe an overstuffed chair, one you can sink into so much it pretty much eats you alive."
Salesman: (with an overly enthusiastic smile/tone of voice):"Well I believe I can help you with that. Come with me and I will show you a few recliners that we have that I'm sure you'll just love."
Okay, now stop. Re-read that last part. Did the customer not just specify the fact that she did NOT want a recliner? I even used CAPS, which implies that I really mean what I'm saying here. Then they hover over you as you make your decision, making you want to pick up that coffee table over there and just ...
But I digress. One day and three or four furniture stores later, (I lost count after about the sixty second chair) we decide what we want. It is at that point that our sales lady (who didn't hover too badly until we went and looked at dining room tables) left to get hot fudge cake. While her on-duty priorities are obviously questionable, I cannot blame her much. If I had to chose between selling furniture and going for hot fudge cake, I would have left, too. So there you are, folks. When it comes to furniture shopping, I heard online site-to-store isn't that bad. May you have a happy and stress-free holiday season. (Yeah, right. I know. But it's worth a shot.)
~Ta ta for now~

1 comment:

  1. Shaemazing -

    Don't ever let me go to that first store again - geez he was annoying!

    So glad you enjoyed our shopping adventure...I love my new chair. Send me a link to your Flicker account...I want to see your latest pictures!

    Love you -
    Your Other

    ReplyDelete